Registering a civil partnership in Spain

A civil partnership is a union between two people who want to live together in a stable way, similarly to a marital relationship, and to have their relationship recognised legally, they apply for the official registration of their relationship.

In Spain, the regulation of civil partnerships relies on each regional community. In Andalusia, it is governed by Law 5/2002 of 16 December.

What are the requirements for registering a civil partnership?

According to law, if you want to register a civil partnership, you must give evidence of the following circumstances:

  • Your personal identification.
  • Your civil status.
  • You are of full age or an emancipated minor.
  • You are not judicially incapacitated.
  • Neither of you is either a civil partner or married, or hold a non-married relationship with another person.
  • That you or your partner have your usual residence in any municipality of the Regional Community of Andalusia.
  • That you are not close blood relatives or related through adoption.
  • Declaration of intent to enter a civil partnership.

What documents should you submit?

You will be asked to submit an application form duly filled out along with the following documents:

  1. Copy of the identification documents of the applicants (valid Id card, Passport, residency card or equivalent documents)
  2. Certificate of the municipal population register updated or “Certificado de Empadronamiento”, with an issuance date not exceeding 3 months from the submission date of the application form with the Register of Civil Partnerships.
  3. Certificate of the Civil Register accrediting emancipation, if applicable.
  4. Certificate proving your civil status by:
    1. Birth certificate and single status certificate or certificate of no impediment.
    2. Affidavit of the interested person as to his/her current civil status (divorced, single, widower) before the office in charge of dealing with applications for civil partnerships, or before a Notary Public or consular institutions of his/her country in Spain.
    3. In addition to the above, in case any of the members of the couple is divorced or a widower/widow, you must provide:
    4. If divorced: Marriage certificate with a marginal note of divorce or annulment.
    5. If widower/widow: Marriage certificate and Death Certificate of your late spouse.
    6. The certificates must be issued by the Civil Register or the competent institution of the country of nationality of the applicant. They can also be issued by your Embassy or Consulate Registrar in Spain. In addition, those Certificates must be duly legalised and translated.
  1. Statement saying that the partners are not close blood relatives or related through adoption.
  2. Affidavit declaring not being incapacitated to give the consent required.
  3. Affidavit declaring that none of the members are registered as civil partnership with another Register, or if applicable, certificate of the relevant Register of the cancellation of said registration.
  4. Affidavit of not being in a stable non-married relationship with another person.
  5. Deed or statement showing the will to enter a civil partnership.

How can I translate the documents issued by foreign authorities?

The documents issued by foreign institutions drafted in a language other than Spanish must be translated by a sworn or official translator authorised by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation.

At Bechtraducciones, we are specialised in translating any official documents that you need to provide swiftly, ensuring a sworn professional translation that bears full legal effects before the competent institutions.

In addition to sworn translations, we also provide sworn experienced interpreters to attend your interview with the Register, if any of the members of the couple do not speak Spanish.

If you need a sworn translation or interpretation, or wish to ask for a competitive quote, get in touch with us by phone or whatsupp on +34 658 900 828 or at